Friday, March 4, 2011

I Unabashedly Love this Body

I like wearing low cut tops because I can feel a little bit more of the sun and the wind. Secretly, I want to lay in the grass wearing as little as possible and just appreciate my place there. My muscles and my nose and my oddly cut hair and my freckles; just being with definition.

When you lay in bed; do you thank your body for the day? Really. It sounds a little silly but that mass of tendons and bones is your craft. It carries you without too much complaint. (Unless you really treat it like an ass.) Perform a mental checklist.

Toes. Most excellent for balance and running and digging into cool grass and hot sand. Ankles, shapely and sturdy stemming up into those lovely muscly calves. Knees, and hips. Lovely swingey, space taking hips. Stomach. I used to despite you, really, but you hold my intuition and my strength. Arms, hiding unexpected muscle and embraces. Chest; freckles and white skin inking up onto a curious neck and...the heaviest and most lovely bit of all, myself.

Do it. Lay down and name these parts and flex them and move them and live in them for a moment. Connect to your body; it doesn't deserve the disappointment or dispassion you heap all over it.

1 comment:

  1. I want you to re-read this and honestly tell me if you do this and actually mean it.

    As a person in training to become a massage therapist, I am incredibly aware of my body and the bodies of others and, I love you, but you can love it all you want, you need to respect it also.

    I could watch the way you walk and tell what is hurting you, even if you arent aware that it is.

    can you say that you know your body that well?

    ReplyDelete